The Paradox of Repetition

I don’t know if many Christians are aware of it, but there is a philosophic paradox in the concept of persisting in prayer. It can best be illustrated by laying three verses of scripture side by side:

Matt 6:7-8

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

(KJV)

Luke 18:1-6

1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

2 Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:

3 And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.

4 And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;

5 Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.

6 And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.

(KJV)

1Thes 5:16-18

16 Rejoice evermore.

17 Pray without ceasing.

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

(KJV)

I think even that Puritan who was aware of the paradoxical nature of life with God would recognize the paradox here. If one is supposed to “pray without ceasing,” how does one avoid repeating oneself eventually? I mean there are only so many ways for the widow to tell the unjust judge “Hey! Give me justice!” And with the best will in the world, there are only so many times we can go on asking for something without it becoming so habitual that we begin not to notice that we are asking for it or even what it is we are asking for.

Well, I believe God has given me a few answers that I will share with you.

blog search directory Listed in LS Blogs