Out in Left Field

The one problem with having Thank pages, good as they are to have, is that they can become rote exercises of the “now I lay me down to sleep” variety. That is, of course, the paradox of repetition that will always be with us while we are creatures in time.

But we can make this a little more lively by - again - being more aware. Notice the fine spring day and thank God for it! Notice the lovely sunset and thank God for it! Come on, people! Get with it!

1 Pet 1:24-25

24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:

25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

(KJV)

... even by the grass that withereth and the flower that falleth away.

If you need help in this department, try this little exercise.

At random, pick a page out a telephone book’s yellow pages. Then look what’s on it. Notice if there is anything on the page that can represent something you can thank God for.

I’ll go first. My finger came down on page 20, under “Air.” “Air conditioning.” “Air conditioning and heating systems.” Bingo.

“I thank Thee for the fuel I have received to keep my home warm and comfortable this winter.”

Hmmm. Lets try that again. My finger lands on page 479 “Office,” “Office Furnature,” etc.

“I thank thee that there are those who have places of employment where they may earn their bread in conditions less arduous then in other countries and in other times.”

Next time you are feeling down in the mouth, or bored, try this little exercise and see what it does for your spirit. I suspect it will sharpen your abililty to see things that you can be thankful to God for. And that’s a good thing.

Ps 50:23

23 He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God."

(NIV)

blog search directory Listed in LS Blogs